Thursday, August 2, 2007

Shenzhen Part 2: The evidence

Crossing the border is the easiest for Hong Kong permanent residents and even easier for Chinese nationals. In the latter only an ID card is presented into an electronic machine along with thumb print. HK permanent residents; don't forget to bring your passport with your Visa, along with your ID card. (I forgot my passport and lost 2 precious hours. Silly me). The KCR takes you straight to the border, Lo Wu.

Lo Wu Commercial City Centre is the closest mall from the KCR station and needs at least a whole day to take a good look around. Close to 1500 shops selling clothes, shoes, sunglasses, watches, gadgets, DVDs/VCDs, materials and jewellery. According to Ellen McNally, author of "Shop in Shenzhen; an insider's guide" even real dinosaur eggs. (!!!)

We entered, at random, one of the many shops and after much unsuccessful haggling and leaving because I literally didn't have enough money for the two jackets I wished to purchase. After being physically grabbed and dragged back into the shop, fingers working quickly on calculator and persuaded with half the amount of which the garments were originally priced I bought them. Success! Penniless, we moved onto the tailor on the top floor of the mall, where any fabric of any design can be chosen to make whatever you wish. Anything. Bring a picture, an item to copy, or even your own design and it's theirs to make at an impressively affordable price.

I brought a dress to be copied and the result will be posted here next week. Whether it turns out well is the risk you take. For my Year 13 formal I had a dress made from my own design, when it arrived it was unwearable and the fabric I had chosen was atrocious. So unless you're very talented in selecting, designing and explaining exactly what you want, it's better to bring an original to copy.

Here are the jackets I bought:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the the jackets, but those bright blue pants are also pretty awesome.

I am currently in HK myself, having just finished high school in New Zealand. I have been to HK before (I even lived here for seven years back in the '90s), but this place seems to reinvent itself daily.

What shops would you recommend for guys clothing (vintage tees, faded denim etc.)?... Or is Granville the be all and end all?

Cheers,
Kirk

Anonymous said...

i LOVE the jackets. especially the first one.

Laura Murphy said...

Hi Kirk.
Welcome back to Hong Kong!
You definitely should check out Kitterick, right now. The sales are crazy and the guys stuff in there is brilliant. Also b+ab stores, located in various places, Granville being one. Izzue is also on Granville and they always have an awesome selection of guys clothes.
For vintage you'd be better to check out the malls like Rise on Granville Circuit or Island Beverly in Causeway Bay, No1. George Street. They're mostly 'vintage style' but not actually vintage. Clothes here are rarely recycled, it seems. I will have a hunt and let you know if I source out any real vintage stores.
Hope that helped!
Much love,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm in love with your jeans! I was wondering if you could tell me names of shops I can get colored skinny jeans (possibly other colors too) from in HK?

Thank you!
Mel

Love your blogs btw :)