Friday, August 10, 2007

Typhoon Dress Code

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As I sit here writing this, with the storm as my soundtrack, still damp from my scurry home after a cancelled gallery exhibition openning, I realised I was not properly attired or prepared for the incurring typhoon. Typhoon season is upon us(!) and unless you enjoy the wet and wind-swept look, it's time to get out the wet weather gear. My holy No Sweat sneakers introduce too many rain drops to my socks, this is most unwelcome when I have to sit on a bus dripping wet under the blasting air conditioning.

Some tips for the typhooning weather:

T1 - "This is a stand-by signal, indicating that a tropical cyclone is centred within about 800 km of Hong Kong and may affect the territory."

Not too serious, you can get by with any old umbrella and even your ordinary gear.

T3 - "Strong wind is expected or blowing generally in Hong Kong near sea level, with a sustained speed of 41-62 km/h (kilometres per hour), and gusts which may exceed 110 km/h, and the wind condition is expected to persist. Winds are normally expected to become generally stronger in Hong Kong within 12 hours after the issue of this signal. Winds over offshore waters and on high ground may reach gale force."

You'll want to pack a sturdier umbrella so leave the compact one at home and bring with you the mary poppins' style one. Wear comfortable shoes that don't get slippery from the rain or get drenched through and through, jelly shoes would be your best bet.

T8 - "Gale or storm force wind is expected or blowing generally in Hong Kong near sea level, with a sustained wind speed of 63-117 km/h from the quarter indicated and gusts which may exceed 180 km/h, and the wind condition is expected to persist."

While an umbrella can generally keep the rain off of the upper part of your body, the lower becomes a target once the gusts reach 180km/h. My advice would be a very large mac, wellies and as little clothing as possible, to avoid catching your death of cold on the public transport. Skin dries faster than material. Socks would also be useless in this weather.

T10 - "Hurricane force wind is expected or blowing with sustained wind speed reaching upwards from 118 km/h and gusts that may exceed 220 km/h."

Hopefully you'll have reached your safe house before a signal 10 is enforced, but if you're unlucky enough to be stuck in the million person long bus line here's what you'll need: EVERYTHING that was mentioned for T3 and T8 plus a towel, a helmet, walkie talkie with your next of kin on receiving end, spare clothes and make it your life's mission to avoid areas of built up illegal structures. Flying roof tops may occur, Wizard of Oz style.

I'm now off to scour the streets for Umbrella Fashions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha I love the picture and its comment!!! This is a good instructional piece my friend! Today in Sydney is T...zero. So I guess I'll just wear what I'm wearing now.